Michael McDonough is a Partner the firm’s complex commercial litigation and outside general counsel practice groups. He concentrates his practice on commercial litigation and resolving various business disputes for clients ranging from individuals to large corporations. Michael counsels his clients on a wide array of business and litigation matters.
Michael has experience trying cases in both state and federal court, including trial experience in the Circuit Court of Cook County, the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois, and national arbitration proceedings. In addition to his trial and mediation experience, Michael focuses on outside general counsel practices advising clients on best practices and limiting liability.
Prior to joining Sullivan Royko, Michael worked with both large and boutique litigation firms in Chicago allowing him to gain extensive practical experience litigating cases locally and across the country.
Michael earned his undergraduate degree from Le Moyne College, in Syracuse, New York in political science. While attending Le Moyne, Michael was a four-year varsity athlete on the men’s basketball team serving as a co-captain his senior year. Michael earned his law degree from the University of Dayton School of Law in Dayton, Ohio. While in law school, Michael served as a law clerk for both the U.S. District Court for the Middle District of Pennsylvania as well as the Montgomery County Court of Common Pleas. Further, Michael was awarded the CALI Award for Excellence in Trial Practice in 2012 and the CALI Award for Excellence in Alternative Dispute Resolution in 2011. He was also a member of the law school’s National Mock Trial Team in 2012-2013. Michael received the university’s Pro Bono Commitment to Community Award in 2013.
An adoptive Chicagoan, Mike originally hails from northern New York, along the New York-Canadian border. But having been in Chicago since graduating from law school, Mike has grown to call Chicago home. He joined Sullivan Royko in order to help his fellow Chicagoans and make a positive impact in the community.
- Represented a Chicago based firm in complex business dispute, including federal court litigation alleging numerous claims for tortious interference and breach of license agreements.
- Represented a Chicago based start-up company in complex intellectual property litigation against a well-known national direct to consumer company.
- Represented a small business consulting service in complex litigation regarding the design and implementation of large-scale decision support solutions.
- Represented a sales training company at trial in a contractual dispute regarding wrongful solicitation of team members
- Provided outside counsel work for Chicago based construction company including contract review, litigation counseling, and dispute resolution.
- Represented an individual in a products liability injury case involving national transportation providers and manufacturers.
- Le Moyne College, B.A., Political Science, 2009
- University of Dayton School of Law, Juris Doctor, 2013
- State of Illinois Bar Admission
- U.S. District Court – Northern District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court – Central District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court – District of Colorado