The attorneys at Sullivan Royko have significant experience in commercial litigation involving complex business litigation matters, including, but not limited to, contract litigation, partnership and shareholder disputes, and breach of fiduciary duty and fraud claims. Further, our attorneys have prosecuted multiple preliminary and permanent injunctions and temporary restraining orders, as well as serving as separately engaged trial counsel.
Here are some examples of cases Sullivan Royko’s attorneys have worked on:
- Successfully tried to verdict in the Circuit Court of Cook County a breach of contract case centered on a complex network of bank and personal loans secured by real estate held in a land trust.
- Represented a corporation, which provides financial products, services, and advice to individuals and corporate clients, in a multiple-day trial on breach of contract and misappropriation of trade secrets. Obtained a six-figure judgment.
Breach of Fiduciary Duty Claims
- Represented an investor in a venture capital fund in a breach of fiduciary duties and breach of contract lawsuit against fund management. Obtained a seven-figure settlement after multiple-day mediation.
- Represented various business owners in the service/hospitality industry regarding partnership disputes, breach of fiduciary duty, commercial debt disputes, and legal malpractice.
- Defended a U.K.-based furniture designer in a fraud and patent infringement case brought against an Illinois furniture manufacturer and distributor. We obtained a favorable settlement of all intellectual property claims.
- Represented sellers of Chicago area real estate against allegations of fraudulent concealment and misrepresentation in connection with alleged latent property defects. After cross-examination, successfully moved court to disqualify plaintiffs’ expert damages witness on the fourth day of a weeklong jury trial in the Circuit Court of Cook County. Case settled on favorable terms for defendants.
- Brought Antitrust and Racketeer Influence and Corrupt Organization Claims (RICO) against a certification board on behalf of a class pursuant to the Clayton and Sherman Act.
Securities and Accounting Fraud
- Successfully defended an individual investor in an SBIC Act limited liability company against claims for $1.4 million.
Shareholder Suits/Securities and Accounting Fraud
- Pursued claims for Plaintiffs against one of the largest manufacturers of private-brand food products pursuant to the Securities Exchange Act of 1934.
- Represented a Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) appointed receiver in shareholder litigation to recoup company money based on fraudulent conduct.
Trade Secrets Actions
- Defended chemical supplier in lawsuit alleging violations of the Illinois Trade Secrets Act with regards to customer lists and pricing information. After successfully moving court for admission of requests to admit, obtained favorable settlement of all pending claims.
- Successfully tried to verdict in the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York a case in which it was alleged that our client induced an individual to breach his restrictive covenants and misappropriated proprietary information.
Trademark and Copyright Infringement
- Successfully defended an online optics retailer from a 13-count complaint, including Lanham Act violations, cybersquatting, trademark dilution, Illinois Consumer Fraud and Deceptive Business Practice Act violations, and tortious interference with business expectancy.
- Jointly defended six individuals in a complaint alleging breach of contract related to an alleged participation in a diversion ring concerning a trademarked product obtained directly from the plaintiff and allegedly sold via the Internet in violation of individual sales representative contacts. Case settled on favorable terms for six clients.
Separately Engaged Trial Counsel
- Subsequent to being engaged as trial counsel 90 days prior to trial in the United States District Court for the Northern District of Illinois, defended a charitable fundraiser against fraud and breach of contract claims brought by one of the United States’ leading charitable organizations.
Section 230 Communications Decency Act Claims
- Provided legal analysis on the Communications Decency Act for a popular video game streamer in a breach of contract claim against a large online streaming platform.